BC Wildfire Service

In 2016, I got an auxiliary position working for BC Wildfire Service as a dispatcher. Since then, I have spent my summers working hard with some of the best people. I worked in dispatch for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 fire season and then got a new auxiliary position as a communication assistant. My role as a communication assistant has pushed me out of my comfort zone as I have to do multiple TV and radio interviews informing the public about the wildfire situation. My time with BC Wildfire Service has pushed me out of my comfort zones in a lot of ways. Challenging times during a busy fire season has built my resilience. I worked 12-16 hour days when my hometown was on fire, and had to continue to stay calm and alert in order for my coworkers to depend on me. All of the challenges that BC Wildfire Service has presented me with has taught me so much. As I look to my future career as a teacher, I see some similarities between working for BC Wildfire Service and being a teacher. To be a teacher, you have to be resilient, strong, calm, and alert. All of which I have become thanks to my time working with the wonderful people at BC Wildfire Service. 

Thailand 

After the stressful 2017 wildfire season, a co-worker and I travelled to Thailand. We chose to go to Thailand because we had heard nothing about good things about the wonderful people and culture. I didn’t know what to expect upon our departure. That was the furthest I have been away from home for the longest period of time (30 days). Once we arrived in Thailand, I instantly fell in love with the culture and people. I fully emerged myself with the local people and took in all experiences that I could. During my time there, I took cooking lessons with a local chef, went rock climbing with a local guide, did a Muay Thai workout at a local facility and many more fantastic activities. After returning home I developed a passion to learn about more cultures and appreciate how different people are. As a future teacher, I think it is important to recognize different cultures and be willing to learn about it just like I did when travelling in Thailand. 

Early Learning Centre

In the spring of 2015, I applied for a job at the Early Learning Centre in Kamloops. I always enjoyed children, and I needed a job so I applied. I got the job as the Family Program Resource Assistant at the Kamloops Child Care Resource and Referral – Early Learning Centre. On a daily basis, I would assist in the Early Learning Centre preparing and setting up interactive learning stations, playing with children and resolving conflicts. The program was for families to bring their children ages 0-6 years old to play and interact with other children. The centre offers interactive activities that force children to learn through play. There would be, on average, 15 children in the centre at one day each day. During my time at the CCRR, I became very fond of teaching and facilitating children while they play and learn. This job solidified for myself that I wanted to be a teacher. With support of my co-workers, I applied to the arts program at Thompson Rivers University with the BEd program my end goal.