It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. – Albert Einstein

The meaning of the quote is that as teachers, we don’t just give our students knowledge but teach them to seek and acquire knowledge on their own. Everything that we teach students out of the textbook can be found on the internet and elsewhere. The ability to initiate wonder in students and give them the knowledge to go and seek out their own information is such a valuable skill. By educating the student we are creating an art and joy of learning that pushes children to dig a little bit deeper into their thinking. 

To implement this philosophy in my classroom, I will incorporate a lot of inquiry based learning into my lessons and units. Rather than myself telling my students what they need to do and know, I would open it up to them to allow them to ask questions, explore and share ideas. By including the inquiry based learning in my classroom, I would be teaching my students to seek and acquire knowledge by doing it themselves rather than me teaching them about the topic in a lecture style. I believe that students benefit most by participating in hands-on learning about something that interests them or they have questions about. Inquiry based learning is the perfect way to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge in my students!